Career Development and Pathways at Nelson Park School.
Our intention is to develop and practise work skills through
: Work Experience
: School based activities
and to build employability skills and personality traits that employers viewed as essential.
These are Interpersonal / Social Skills; Customer Service Skills, communication and teamwork skills. Enthusiasm and Motivation; Presentation and Confidence, Reliability, Honesty, Loyalty and Work Ethic.
Career and Pathway development accounts for over 20% of a student’s week at school and provides a great foundation for their future.
Below is a broad outlook at what we do for our students at Nelson Park School
• Maintaining CAPS (Career Action Plan) booklets
• Career learning in classes
• including WRS (Work Related Skills), VET (Vocational Education and Training), Work placements, Careers counselling, family information sessions, liaising with DES providers; training organisations.
• Pathways skills development programs including;
• Garden Crew, Car Detailing, Horticulture, Health and Beauty
• Project based learning
• Workplace Safety ( A Job Well Done)
• Interview training
• Resume and application writing.
• Work Experience placements in the business community
Career and Pathways Development Benefits
Builds Student Personal Brand
Improved understanding an employer’s expectations
Provides an opportunity to explore possible career pathways and options
Increase self-understanding, maturity, independence and self-confidence
Enhance opportunities for part-time or casual work and volunteering
A Sample of Our Successes
• FB completed the SBAT with NFI. Through contacts, he left Year 12 and now works at Gordon TAFE.
• JB completed SBAT in Animal Companionship. After year 12, he was retained on staff by the employer.
• CM completed work experience placement, then a SBAT, and left school after year 11 to undertake an ongoing traineeship with the employer.
• CV completed SBAT, after year 12, further study at Gordon then landed a Apprenticeship at Geelong Cats Bistro